NYS Legislature, Governor Agree To Invest in Disability Provider Workforce

April 7, 2017

 


During a rally by the bFair2DirectCare Coalition at the State Capitol on March 28th, Governor Cuomo and the leaders of both Houses, along with the mental hygiene committee chairs, promised a group of bFair2DirectCare demonstrators that they all support the addition of funds to increase direct care salaries. The Governor said he would not sign a budget that didn't include $55 million for direct care providers.

The Governor noted that this funding would come on top of the increase provided to bring workers up to the minimum wage, with a 3.25% wage hike for direct care workers starting in January 2018, and an additional 3.25% wage hike for direct care staff starting in April 2018, for a total of 6.5%.

The announcement comes as a result of the more than year-long, statewide bFair2DirectCare advocacy campaign. Staff, self-advocates, board members, families, and volunteers from across the state have worked hard to make their representatives in Albany understand the desperate need for this funding.

Thank you to all who participated by making phone calls, sending emails and/or personal letters and postcards,  sharing social media posts, making office visits, or otherwise contributed to the success of this campaign.  

 
The #bFair2DirectCare Coalition is comprised of seven associations (CP, NYSARC, NYSACRA, NYSRA, IAC, DDAWNY, and ALIA) throughout the state that represent more than 100,000 Direct Support Professionals (DSPs). 
 

Please reload

Featured Posts

LDA of WNY to Hold Open Interviews

July 5, 2018

1/4
Please reload

Recent Posts

March 1, 2019

Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square